Sunday, May 25, 2014

Imagine Your Journey Hanging - Altered Film Strip Box Ngaere

By now you would have seen the gorgeous film strip boxes that the other ladies have made. They are stunning.  Of course by now you have to expect that I would do something a bit different.  My daughter being a photographer wanted some "arty" photos taken while she was pregnant.  So we trundled to the beach and she posed and I took the photos.  We got some stunning photos and I wanted to use a couple of them in this project. I wanted the project to convey the natural organic feeling captured by the photos.  Here is the finished project, although the photo does not really do the project justice.












So to begin.

Here are the original pieces of the film strip, they fit together to make the film strip box.





I got a very sharp craft knife and cut up the pieces to make separate boxes.



I then took a placemat which I sanded and painted with white gesso.


After painting the placemat I used Mod Podge and covered the placemat with torn book pages.





Using more mod podge I covered the placemat with a green serviette and then over the green serviette I mod podged another serviette with birds and butterflies over the left half of the placemat.


With the placemat covered I then painted the film strip box pieces with black acrylic paint.
I also painted a few small wooden blocks I had in my stash with the same paint.




Using distress inks I inked up a dictionary page, and using stencils I added some circles using black distress ink. I then cut the pieces to fit the inside back of the box and the insides.



I then decorated the box, using die cuts, a chipboard butterfly and corner flourish.  The bird is from the Imagine If range, I used a button from my stash and a quote :Imagine your Journey".  Around the outside of the box I used some Dresden trim. I covered the outside edges of the box with aluminium tape that had been embossed and painted.  Once the paint was dry I sanded some of the paint off.



I embossed the butterfly, the bird and the flourish with embossing powder.  On the fence die cut I used crackle glossy accents.


I created a flower using  embossed,painted and sanded soda can metal.  Ithen cut out the flowers using the Tim Holtz tattered flower die.  I layered the flowers together to make the bloom.  I then made a few other embellishments using Coutoure Creations Dies.  I painted some of the stars from Imagine If and covered them with blue glitter.  I covered a piece of black card with black and white script tape to put behind the box.



For the photos I painted the film strips with green metallic paint.  I then used the heat tool and heated the paint until it began to bubble to give it a bit of texture. I then rubbed over the paint with gold and black rubon.



I then put the photos in behind the strip and filled in the holes with glossy accents.Using black card I made a hinge to hold both photos and glued it to the top of the box as illustrated. The photos are glued on an angle on the top of the box. I added the other embellishments and put it all together.   I hope you enjoy this project please feel free to leave comments or ask questions.  Now I am off to make something with the remaining pieces of the film strip box...........

Ngaere

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely project and a fantastic tutorial :-) makes me want to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lilian, I can definitely see you doing something like this with your beautiful laces and beads.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this piece..... I'm going to have to do this!!! Such amazing work!!! The colours and tones are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan for your kind comment. I really hope you give it a go and post what you have made I would love to see it.

      Delete
  3. Love it - a very creative and beautiful piece of work, heaps of detail, what else can one say - WOW

    ReplyDelete