Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Off the page project - Mirror Mirror on the wall

Hi everyone, today is a challenge set by Scotties Crafts in Auckland, New Zealand. 

We were offered a free gift if we went to the Scotties crafts stand wearing pink. which I had a pink apron on, So that meant a free gift, with a catch though.

I got this adorable (not) pink princess photo doll, and we had to make her into a piece of art.  So first up a coat of gesso, to get rid of the whole pink thing.  Then it was a matter of deciding who this princess wanted to be.  After a bit of research I decided she was Regina from "Once upon a time - the evil queen". 

With a bit of pleating and major stress with her hair, and then some fantastic Twiddleybitz, I made her outfit.  I pleated graphic 45 paper, and made this coat, and vest, and then hard to see tissue shirt.  A ruffled collar, to help with the image.  I painted the crown and added purple bling.  The hair, what a nightmare, thanks to a friend who sat patiently while I tried to make a bun without pulling all the hair off the polystyrene head (a cheap doll from the $2.00 shop lost her hair). 

I added the mirror in her hand, unfortunately it doesn't show up as well as I would like, the poisoned apple, had to be here as well. 

The mirror, that I made, was interesting, and I wasn't really sure how it was going to turn out, but I was glad about the final result.  Though it took three days to dry in this weather. 


I wanted to make a crown for the top of the whole project, so I made this Mirror Mirror on the the wall sign using upside down banners. 

The inside of the project, started to all come together, with this painted wall, the cauldron with Graphic 45 stickers, and some film strip washi tape.

So here is my entry for the competition, it was an interesting challenge, and really made me put my thinking cap on.  
 





No comments:

Post a Comment