Saturday, May 17, 2014

Fairy Hanging - Ngaere

When Jo sent out the fairies I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do.  I had already painted the fairies black on my layout and I wanted to do something a little bit different than dressing them up and making the traditional fairy.  Plus (and I love it) Jo is always encouraging us to step outside the box and I took her at her word.  Here is the finished piece.

So the longer I looked at the fairy the more I wanted her to appear magical but could not decide how I was going to achieve it.  Finally I found a calendar that I had been given a few years ago with the most stunning fantasy art.  One of the pictures in the calendar was a beautiful unicorn and an image of an Oakman.  I glued the unicorn image on to the fairy and once the glue had a chance to dry I carefully cut around the shape then sanded all of the edges.  I then coated the fairy with a layer of crackle medium to give her a slightly rough weathered look and rubbed in burnt umber oil paint to further weather her.

The image on the left is the fairy before I weathered her and the one on the right is the finished fairy.

So I had the fairy.  The next step was to take some MDF dominoes that I had in my stash (some say hoard) sanded them and glued the picture of the Oakman over the top of them. I then cut them apart sanded all of the edges and painted them black. Oh, and I also took a cork backed placemat and sanded it and painted it black.  These placemats are a really great alternative to canvases and they are so cheap to buy at second hand shops.  If the cork on the back is not the greatest use a razor to remove it and you are good to go with paint or paper. 

Once the glue and paint dried I again use crackle medium and burnt umber paint on the Oakman to give it an aged weathered look.

I then mod podged the Imagine If... green Bazill flourishes on to the painted placemat and inserted two metal eyelets at the top of the hanging to attach cords for hanging. (please excuse the flash reflection in the picture). 

Using the Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves die I cut leaves out of white card and black card.  I then randomly stamped the white leaves with the Stampers Anonymous Falling Leaves stamp. 

I coloured the leaves using Distress Inks in various shades of green and glued each white leaf to a black leaf.  I then spattered them with white paint.

Once the leaves were glued and dry I scrunched them up then opened them out again to give them some shape and texture.  I then assembled the hanging and added the word 'Magic" up the side of the placemat and popped in a little ladybird for a bit of colour.

This is a quick little project that can be done with patterned paper instead of calendar images.  The idea is to take Jo's amazing products and have a play, make them your own and try something a bit different now and then. That is how we learn and grow.  Hope you enjoy this project.

Regards, Ngaere

Materials Used

Imagine If Fairy and Butterfly Large
Imagine If Bazill Flourishes
White/Black cardstock
Distress Inks
MDF Dominoes
Acrylic Paint Black
Crackle Medium
Oil Paint Burnt Umber
Chipboard Letters
Metal Eyelets
Ladybird button